The Aukland Star, Issue number 290, December 5 1905
He was born in County Down, Ireland and lt for New Zealand with the 65th Regiment in 1855 arriving at Napier, the same year, in the ship Lancashire Witch. With his regiment he took part in the Maori wars at Tairanaki and the Waikato.
In 1862 he arrived at Orehunga and was married the same year. Leaving the army, Mr Heenan took up agricultural pursuits and followed the same until lately.
Of a kindly and charitable disposition he was very popular in the district.
Two years ago he became unwell and never improved much in health.
He leaves a widow, ten daughters and 16 grandchildren.
Although not taking a prominent part in public affairs, deceased took much interest in friendly society work and assisted in the formation of the local Hibernian Society, of which he became the first President.
The funeral which took place yesterday at the Church of the Assumption was one of the largest held in the district and was attended by all classes including a number of Hibernians from outside lodges, members of the Borough Council and other bodies. The local Hibernians attended in force and provided the pall bearers.
Additional information about Charles Heenan
Charles Heenan is buried in Onehunga Catholic Cemetery, Auckland, New Zealand along with his wife Elizabeth and their son Charles William Thomas who died as an infant.
The Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption in Onehunga was established in 1850. There are burials in the cemetery that date from at least as early as 1855.
Charles Heenan married Elizabeth Rist in Onehunga (civil registration gives his surname as Heanan). Elizabeth was about 16 years old.
A son, Charles William Heenan, died on August 5, 1876 aged 6 months. Charles Heenan and Elizabeth went on to have several daughters:
- Margaret Catherine Heenan (married Thomas H. Williams).
- Mary Agatha Heenan (married Alfred Cropp)
- Freeda Cecilia Heenan
- Catherine Teresa Heenan,
- Christina Mary Heenan
- Philomeen Elizabeth Heenan
- Harriet Xavier Heenan
- Elizabeth Esther Heenan
- Gertrude Wiliameean Heenan
- Elixea Alethea Caroline Heenan
- Gravestone photo credit: L Trevarthen via Wikitree.
- New Zealand Marriage Index: Charles Heanan. Spouse Elizabeth Rist. Date 1862. Place New Zealand. Marriage Index, 1840-1937, Folio number 62/283 , via Ancestry.com
- New Zealand Death Index: Charles Heenan; Registered death Q4 1905; Registration Place: Onehunga, Otago, New Zealand; Folio Number: 2208 New Zealand, Death Index, 1848-1966 via Ancestry.com
- Death Notice, Aukland Star: December 6, 1905 via Papers Past, National Library of New Zealand
- New Zealand Cemetery Records: Charles Heenan; Birth Date: abt 1835; Death Age: 70; Death Date: 30 Nov 1905; Burial Place: Auckland, New Zealand at Onehunga R C; Spouse Name: Elizabeth Heenan; Death Age: 63; Death Date: 2 Jan 1909.New Zealand, Cemetery Records, 1800-2007 via Ancestry.com.
- New Zealand Probate Records - Charles Heenan, 1905; record number 5689, source Archives New Zealand, Auckland Regional Office via FamilySearch.org digital folder 101197398. "New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Probate Records, 1843-1998